I found my dinner earlier this week at Kalyn’s Kitchen — a blog I subscribe too because of her healthy recipes. I made her Ground Chicken & Chickpea Curry Stew with Yogurt & Cilantro, and served it with brown rice and her Spicy Mexican Slaw with Lime & Cilantro.
Ground Chicken & Chickpea Curry Stew
You’ll need a large heavy pan.
- Olive oil
- 1-1/4 pounds ground chicken or turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Chopped garlic to taste (my addition)
- 2 tablespoons sweet curry powder
- 1 – 14.5 oz can petite tomatoes with juice
- 1 – 15.5 oz can chickpeas, drained
- 12 oz strained fat-free yogurt (get the excess liquid out, then measure), or 12 oz fat-free Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup or more chopped cilantro
Heat oil in large heavy pan, then add chicken, breaking it apart and sauteing until it’s well cooked and lightly browned. Remove from the pan, add more oil and the onion, cook until just starting to get some color. Then sprinkle with curry powder and cook 2 minutes more. Add oil, if needed, and garlic, cook a bit. Return chicken to pan.
Add tomatoes with juice, drained chickpeas and let simmer about 5 minutes, or until flavors are well-blended. Turn heat to low, stir in yogurt and simmer about 3 minutes more, taking care not to let it come to a boil.
Season to taste. Serve hot, sprinkled with cilantro, and serve over brown rice.
Spicy Mexican Slaw
You’ll need a large and small bowl.
- 4 cups thinly sliced green cabbage, using a food processor or mandoline, if available
- 2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage (Note: I really overdid it on the red and green cabbage by using both heads, so I had to increase the other ingredients. Even with the increase, my slaw wasn’t as liquidy as the photo looks, which was fine by me.)
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (or more)
- 4 tablespoons low-fat mayo
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Hot sauce to taste (I used about a lot of Sriracha)
- Salt to taste
Combine cabbage, green onions and cilantro in a large bowl.
In small bowl, whisk together mayo, lime juice and hot sauce. Use a wooden spoon to mix dressing into cabbage mixture. Season to taste and serve immediately, or chill for a few hours.Original Recipes Ground Chicken (or Turkey) & Chickpea Curry Stew with Yogurt & Cilantro Spicy Mexican Slaw with Lime and Cilantro