Menu ideas and recipes for ground chorizo, sweet potatoes, greens, striped bass, jalapeño, Brussels sprouts, shrimp, collards, potatoes, and cauliflower
Chorizo, sweet potato and greens skillet
Last Thursday, I made a ground chorizo, sweet potato, and chard skillet—an excellent choice for a weeknight since I only had to focus on one dish and wash one pan.
These amounts are merely suggestions, do what feels right.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground chorizo, turkey or other meat
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red or orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups peeled and diced sweet potato
- 1-1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1-1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1-1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 chipotle en adobo, minced
- 1/2 to 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- Greens: bunch of chard or kale, bag of spinach, whatever and how much you like
- 3/4 to 1 cup shredded pepper or Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- Chopped cilantro
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add ground meat, onion and bell pepper, sprinkle with salt. Stir occasionally and cook for about 10 minutes or until onions are golden. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes.
Add the sweet potato, spices, chipotle, chicken broth, salt and pepper. Cover the skillet and cook until potatoes are tender. Stir occasionally. Add more broth if needed.
When the sweet potato is tender, add black beans, corn and greens. Cook until the greens are wilted. Then add cheese and let it melt. Garnish with cilantro.
Striped bass with jalapeño sauce
I forgot how much I love this jalapeño sauce. I covered striped bass fillets with it before baking. Yum. On the side, roasted Brussels sprouts with dried cranberries, ham, red onion, and garlic.
Green curry shrimp and collards with aloo gobi
On Sunday, India by way of North Carolina: Vivian Howard’s green curry collards. I added shrimp and jalapeño and served it over basmati rice. On the side, roasted aloo gobi russet potatoes, sweet potatoes, and cauliflower. Per the comments, I doubled the spices and added garlic powder.
Wishing you joy in the kitchen and at the table!
Creative Commons licensed photo by Brett Hondow via Pixabay